Saturday, January 14, 2012

2012 ~ A New Year, New Race Goals ~ Updated

________________________________________
2012 has started as a true new beginning! I don't really believe in "Resolutions" for the new year, and yet I feel motivated and energized to set personal goals for myself -- mainly around running and fitness. By "publishing" these goals in a (sort of) public place, I am holding myself accountable to YOU.

Here is a list of my scheduled races so far, and updates as I complete them during the year.

Run for Regis 50k Winter "Fun" Run ~ Sunday, January 15, 2012
(DONE! 7:04 -- In 2010, better conditions than this year, my time was 8:47. Improvement!)








Green Jewel 50k
~ Saturday, March 3, 2012
(DONE! 5:34)












Fools 50k ~ Sunday, April 1, 2012
(DONE! 6:28 ~ course PR for me!)








Bull Run Run 50-Mil
e ~ Virginia ~ Saturday, April 14, 2012
(DONE! 11:54 ~ Not too thrilled with this slow time, but considering the migraine, I should be really happy I finished!)










On My Own Two Feet (Trail) Marathon ~ Saturday, April 21, 2012
(DONE! 4:47)







No Frills Just Hills Fat Ass ~ Saturday, May 26, 2012
(Done, 12 loops in 6 hours, 25.2 miles, first woman, tie for 2nd overall)


Mohican 50 ~ Saturday, June 16, 2012
(DONE! I don't remember my time, but it was not pretty.)


Buckeye Trail 50k ~Saturday, July 14, 2012
(DONE! 7:08 ~ My best time on this course of the past four years!)






Great Cranberry Island 50k
~ Maine ~ July 21, 2012
(DONE! 5:55 ~ Another state toward my 50! #28)







Burning River 100
~ Saturday, July 28, 2012
(Volunteer Coordinator, 5th year in a row... opted to NOT run this year.)






Hallucinating 100 ~ Friday, September 7, 2012







Other possible races might include a random marathon out of state.

Generally, my resolution for training is to document my workouts regularly on dailymile. I am aiming to run every day of this year -- so far I have only missed a day. Even if it is just to log a couple of miles, I intend to suit up and get out of the house to run. Most often, even when I only think I am going to get in a couple miles, I end up getting more because I started feeling better. Getting out of the door, taking that first step, is really the majority of the effort for me!

I had intended to average 7 miles per mile over the year, 49 miles per week average for a total of about 2,500 miles in 2012. That total is being scaled-down to around 2,000. If I stick to the training plan of running every day, intensely for the rest of the year, and getting two long runs in on the weekends, plus a few long races, then I should easily be able to average this mileage. Granted, I intend to be injury-free for this to happen.

Plus I would like to cross-train more this year. I have my Trek road bike on the CycleOps in my tiny living room, believe it or not, so that I am able to jump on it anytime I want to watch stupid television or stretch my legs. This could be only good for me, right? And I would really like to try a Zumba class with Savanna.

Too large of a goal? Nope. I feel this is realistic, not too lofty or unattainable.

The best thing about this plan? It is within MY control. My legs, my fitness level, my performance, my endurance, my motivation. This is the time to get back to the "me" I have often set aside for others, and concentrate on living the "now" and loving the things I am responsible for -- my daughters, my mom, my pets, my friendships, my house, my garden, my job. While it would be wonderful to have a man next to me, sharing in this life and me in his, all that I need is here in front of me. Maybe one day love will find me again.

Happy New Year to everyone. May it bring you many wonderful surprises, peace, serenity, and joy. Come run with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment